Monday, February 27, 2012

Earworm Of The Week: Mason Jennings

Mason Jennings is one of the Twin Cities' most beloved artists.

Jennings’ expansive sonic catalog is plush with songs that pair simple instrumentals with profound lyricism. His albums have examined the gamut of the human experience, from coming-of-age tunes to heartbreak ballads. Themes of gratitude, spirituality, love, parenthood, addiction, and death are evident in all of his albums.

Personally invited by Jack Johnson to join the Brushfire Records label, on which he recorded 2006's Boneclouds, Jennings later returned to independent musicianship.

"I have come to the point in my life and my art where I just want to make music that I love and not mess with it," Jennings says. "If people dig it: cool. If not: cool. I will be making it anyway. I have to."

This song, "Well of Love", is distinctly bouncier than its piano-based counterparts on Jennings' latest release, Minnesota. The quirky combination of live action and animation in this video is a visual stunner. With its irresistible horn blasting beat, this tune is sure to get you on your feet. Goodbye winter blues!



Tune into "Live From Studio 5!" on Wednesdays from 10 PM to Midnight on KFAI radio for more amazing local musicians!

- Erica Rivera

No comments:

Post a Comment