Saturday, October 13, 2012

Greetings and Salutations

Hello, internet,
It is I, Greenswamp Lily, and I hereby humbly begin to follow in the foot steps of our worldly Erica.

I have been dubbed "Temptress" and "Events Editor" of KFAI's Live From Studio Five, but in my four months of haphazard attendance as a KFAI volunteer, I've learned a range of skills, but mostly, I post on Facebook so everyone and all their friends listen on Wednesday nights. Now, from the comfort of my cheap apartment, I begin my career as a LFS5 blogger.

I've blogged before, for my dear Alma Mater, Augsburg College (it's so weird actually using "alma mater" in a sentence!). It was/is(?) a blog for incoming students to have an inside look at Auggie life. I don't feel like I did it justice, I had a ton of fun at school, but never found the time to share it. I still keep it. It's all right. www.lillianthegreat.blogspot.com I think.

Some more about myself,
As suggested, I am a recent graduate of Augsburg College, where I studied History and Women's Studies, in addition to a fair helping of music. I played my trumpet in Concert Band, Jazz Band, Brass Chamber, and Pep Band, and took lessons from Lynn Erickson, trumpet player for the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra.

I'm still not that good.

This spring, I joined the band, "The Drug Budget," and popped my rock star cherry in a bar in Madison, just weeks after going to my first practice. I think it would be hilarious for us to play LFS5 someday, because we consist of 11-18 people and would pack poor little studio five to it's hot and sweaty gills.

In August, I started my second season as a Royal trumpet at the Renaissance Festival. I say "second season" but mean only as a trumpet player. I've been at the festival my entire life, and with each year I become more and more entrenched. This lead to another fantastic opportunity that I embarked in just last week.

The story goes like this:
I was up on the Morris Dancer Knoll in the Ren Fest camp ground, probably eating cheese, drinking tasty beer and flirting, when a woman over heard my chat and said, "You play trumpet?"
"Yeah," I said, "for the king."
"Do you want to play trumpet in a rockin' girl band with boy dancers?"
"Hell yeah I do!"
"Are you ok with wearing a corset?"
"Hell yeah I am!"
"Great. We're called, 'The COCKTAILS.'"

I've been to two practices, I don't suck, and Border Morris dancing is sexy as hell.

Oh yeah, and I'm interested in Radio. Who knew?
In high school, I Dj'ed for KBEK 95.5fm, Mora, Live and Local Radio, playing the songs from the Best Times of Your Life. It was the coolest job a 17 year old could have, and I had a blast. I'd intended to continue that into college, but even with KFAI just down the street, I didn't have the time. So now here I am, hanging out with radio people-who really are the coolest people- and cutting my chops bit by bit in public radio. I often doubt the future of radio, but I think that there is still plenty of fun to be had by all, and in the long run, I think it would be great to stay involved in one way or another.

Who knows, maybe some day the Thug will let me co-host!

So there's me in a blog shell.
I would tell you about the awesome music of Climbing Trees, who we heard last Wednesday, but they deserve a post of their own.

Farewell until the next post.
I look forward to our time together. :)
Yours,
Greenswamp


No comments:

Post a Comment