Tuesday, July 30, 2013

LFS5 Miracle @ Cedar Riverside

It was a regular Wednesday night at "Live From Studio 5!"
Except for one thing, no band, someone screwed up, probably me.
It does not really matter, the bottom line is I blew it and failed to make sure everything was set..
I take full responsibility, so just tell me when the flogging is scheduled.

While the clock ticked on, Doug the Thug and MJ were going into a meltdown.
It did not help that I was nursing a week long headache, and it had been friggin hot.

Meanwhile, down in the Alley patio between the Bailey Building and The Acadia, our sound guys, Orin Pratt and Mike the Bike were discussing the problem.

Through some insane set of circumstances, a trio of talent just happened to be hanging out.
Everyone thought they made up the name on the way up in the elevator, but not so, it is really Project Make Sound.

Three talented people with original material, just happened to come to our rescue.
With less that a half hour to get ready, set the audio, mics etc, and cut a promo, we were on our way.

Never before have I seen such a display of competence, and outright talent
Two acoustic guitars, and beautiful songs and melodious vocals.
Not only that, cat stories too, it was like finding treasure.

I tried hard, but was unable to stop my foot from tapping, and a couple of times almost broke into dance.
You absolutely must check out this group, like 'em, fan 'em, give them a virtual hug.
Tell em "Live From Studio 5!" sent you!
Visit the archives here kfai.org/livefromstudio5 scroll down the page and click listen.
You can find them on face book, and here...
Here is Doug The Thug's account:
Here's a recipe for DISASTER: After over three years of doing "Live From Studio 5!" where some bands show up before 7 to get set up and some straggle in after 9 (one band member who shall remain nameless showed up at 10:15 after the show started) we finally had a "no-show". Did that mean no show? I think not. As I nervously watched the clock tick past 9pm I grew increasingly PIST. We need a lot of time for a perfect sound check. So the audio guys went down in the alley between KFAI and the Acadia for their smoke break, a known hangout for characters, drunks, musicians, smokers etc. and were commiserating aloud about the situation and lo and behold, a couple of inebriated young ladies overheard them. "We'd LOVE to play on your show!" (Accounts differ as to who long they had been drinking, one admitted to at least since NOON.) But never mind, Mike The Bike and Orrin made an on-the-spot zekkitive decision and at9:30 said "Let's go!" and upstairs they went with a third guy who had an acoustic guitar. Simple set-up..two acoustic guitars, two vocalists. When I heard what they had done, I was freaked but waaaay too late to do anything so..... I think they came up with a name in the elevator, Project Make Sound or something. (PMS, Yikes!) I suggested the Random Alley Cats. Anyway, give a listen and tell me what you think, just click here and scroll down to "Recent Playlists". http://kfai.org/livefromstudio5
Ken Hippler commended me for improvisation under pressure and quick thinking? Nope, at least not on my part. I'm pacing the floor upstairs while the sound guys are smoking in the alley and when they come back up, they've got three people with two guitars. Now what are the odds of that? Talk about serendipitous! They were there and even though they were drinking all day, they had their acoustic instruments with them AND they didn't stink up the place. They were actually quite GOOD! I shoulda bought a lottery ticket that day. Oh yeah, and it wasn't even their full band!
Borrowed From Their Facebook page here's the deal …..

PROJECT MAKE SOUND Minneapolis, MN

I’d like to introduce you to my new musical endeavor, Project Make Sound. The purpose of this project is quite simple. I’d like to take all the song ideas that have been bouncing around my head for the past year and a half, convert them into audio files – actual recorded tunes – and share them with all of you, right here online.

To do this, I have teamed up with a whole bunch of talented musicians - a whole bunch of people I'm lucky enough to call friends. So far the list of people involved in this project is as follows:

James Horvath - bass, percussion, and direction on recording, mixing and composition. Proud inventor of the Horvath mic-placement system.

Becky Shaheen - vocals, song/lyric/harmony-writing, and musical direction.

Laura Schmidt - vocals, song/lyric/harmony-writing.

Jamie Kallestad - vocals, harmony-writing.

Nick Mordal - acoustic guitar, songwriting.

Jordan Longly - electric guitar.

Joe Shaheen - vocals, harmonica, and musical/production direction.

To date, we've finished three songs. Many more are in the works. We'll post any and all project updates right here on this Facebook page. So please, stay tuned. Wonderful things are in the works!Friends,

I’d like to introduce you to my new musical endeavor, Project Make Sound. The purpose of this project is quite simple. I’d like to take all the song ideas that have been bouncing around my head for the past year and a half, convert them into audio files – actual recorded tunes – and share them with all of you, right here online.

To do this, I have teamed up with a whole bunch of talented musicians - a whole bunch of people I'm lucky enough to call friends. So far the list of people involved in this project is as follows:

James Horvath - bass, percussion, and direction on recording, mixing and composition. Proud inventor of the Horvath mic-placement system.

Becky Shaheen - vocals, song/lyric/harmony-writing, and musical direction.

Laura Schmidt - vocals, song/lyric/harmony-writing.

Jamie Kallestad - vocals, harmony-writing.

Nick Mordal - acoustic guitar, songwriting.

Jordan Longly - electric guitar.

Joe Shaheen - vocals, harmonica, and musical/production direction.

We openly invite them to return in their full compliment of colaborators for a show in 2014
This is a project to watch, on a scale of 1 to 10 they are a 15.
Venues, if you need great entertainment, book this group, you will be glad you did.

Sorry this  post took so long, my dragin has been dragin
                                                                    Dew
DEW2AFACEBOOK

No comments:

Post a Comment